Friday, February 5, 2016

Renewing Malaysia IC (mykad) experience

I went to renew my IC last week because the back of my old IC has torn up a bit. 

From last year, I keep getting the news that we will be fined if we don't renew our IC in between 18 to 25 years old. I even heard something like 1 year after 25 will be RM50 and it will be incremental if you are older.

I am 3 years late to renew my IC (mykad).... so I even thought I might be fined for RM100 or RM150. That's the worst case scenario that I can think of. So I went to JPN at Jalan Sultan at lunch time..... it was very jam. Took me about an hour to reach there. When I got to the first floor, i take a number and it turned out that I need to wait for 80 numbers. I was like "what the hell???". I read from internet that it only takes them 15 minutes to do the whole thing.

I got no choice so I thought "since it is 80 numbers, I guess I can go out to take my lunch first". When I go to the ground floor and walk around to find a cafe, I saw a security guard. So I asked him and he pointed me to the correct direction. Some conversation happened.

Him: You datang buat IC?
Me: Ya. Tapi banyak orang.
Him: Ya. Sebab KL cuti. Semua orang datang sini.
Me: Cuti?

Then I realized it is 1st February. It's Federal Territory Day... I really go at the wrong day....

Anyway, long story short. I eat my lunch that cost me around RM7 including drinks at the cafe in JPN, go back to the first floor and waited for my turn. After 2 hours, my number is called and I went to the counter. She said I need to pay RM20. RM10 for processing and RM10 for late renewal. Thank GOD! Only RM20... 

The process is quite simple.

1. I give her my old IC
2. Scan my right and left thumb.
3. See how she cut my IC. ( Unnecessary step :-) ) and then pay the money.
4. Take back my number and wait to take picture at counter 15/16.
5. This step should vary at different day. I was asked to come back the next day at 8am to collect my IC because there are too many people on that day. I believe you can collect your IC on the day itself if you go at non peak season. I mean when there are not a lot people there.

I hope this helps. Hehe.

No comments:

Post a Comment